Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damage can be a traumatic experience, both for your home and for you as a homeowner. It is important to take immediate action if you experience fire damage in your home. The first thing you should do is make sure you are safe and not in harm's way - try to stop the flow of fire if it can be done in a safe manner. If you can't stop the flow of fire, move other items away from the burning areas - again, your safety is the most important, if you can not move things, get out and find a safe place.
After the fire has been put out, it is important to begin the cleanup process. This process can be daunting, but it is important to remember that you are not alone. SERVPRO of South Nashville is here to help you through this difficult time. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you get your home back to normal.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call us at 615-331-0200. We are here to help you through this difficult time.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (615) 331-0200
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.